Home Forums 16 to 1 Mine Technology

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Participant

GREETINGS to our new website.
    The FORUM began in the late 1990’s at origsix.com. Do to its age a modern website became necessary. Here it is; however all the transaction from origsix.com during the transition are not yet available on the site. Our original website will remain. Welcome and enjoy your journey with the oldest USA gold mining corporation. Participate using either or both sites.

David Ingraham
    Participant

There was funding for more extensive geologic survey in the Interior budget of the last authorization. The Chopper might be part of that survey and your mine is a known resource that other surveys would probably be compared with.

Michael Miller
    Participant

A very expensive white helicopter hovered low over the mine on November 12, 2018, around 3:30pm. Our shop man (Al) saw it, I did not. It had no numbers. His comment was that this is someone important. It had chocolate brown and yellowish gold marking but he could not read them.

Since then I learned that a program of electrical sensing deep underground was completed in Idaho and Montana. California and Oregon are following. Who operates this program? Why was it hovering low over the quartz ore located on the upper landing? A “chopper” like this costs over $1,100 an hour. This one has a long pointed rod, about 12 feet long attached to its nose. I was told the program is federally sponsored (maybe) for mapping and exploration. I was told it’s called pinging.

Ping is a program that sends a series of packets over a network to a specific computer in order to generate a response from that computer. The other computer responds with an acknowledgment that it received the packets

Some claim that the word “ping” is actually an acronym for “Packet Internet Network Groper”, similar to what submariners do with sonar. Both the computer and the submarine’s sonar send out a “ping”, in the form of either a series of packets or a brief burst of sound. The ping “bounces” off the target and then returns to let you know the target is there. Ping is built into almost every network-capable operating system. The first step for mining is to find the ores and materials you want to extract. But first someone must figure out how each mineral pings or the acoustics of , say, gold.

Once you are near the rocks of interest hovering in front of the now-outlined rocks will analyze those rocks and provide the following information about it: Composition: The minerals contained within the rock: “filter out” inert rock, so higher percentages of minerals will provide ore. Resistance: The resistance of the rock to the mining laser. On a scale from 0 to 1, a larger number will take longer and more power to fracture. Instability: The instability of the rock will make it more challenging to profit. At this point the value of the rock can be determined, and the miner can decide to abandon or mine this particular node of minerals.

What could be gained from a helicoptered hovering over a pile of our gold ore? Dah!
    Does America need on going production of minerals? Dah

Michael Miller
    Participant

Hans, ich danke ihnen, vielen dank.

Before your last entry, my knowledge of MLP was zero. How sad to have worked so many years looking for the key to interest investors to investigate this venerable gold producing company. I like this concept, really like it. Even the recent tax legislation benefits investors in a MLP.
    Others may be ignorant, like I was. Below is a brief explanation about Master Limited Partnerships.

There are two types of partners in an MLP: general partners and limited partners. General partners oversee the daily operations of the MLP. All other investors in an MLP are limited partners, and their role is to provide capital to the MLP.
    The limited partners, in turn, get to collect distributions from the MLP’s cash flow. Limited partners do not get involved in an MLP’s operations. Also, while limited partner units are publicly traded, general partner units usually are not.

General partners typically own a small general partnership stake of the MLP, though they can also own limited partner units to increase their ownership percentage. Those who invest in MLPs are referred to as unitholders because they buy units of the partnership. Investors are paid through quarterly required distributions as specified in their contracts.
    Because MLPs are not required to pay corporate taxes, they have more cash available to distribute to investors. To receive these tax benefits, MLPs must generate at least 90% of their income from qualifying activities, such as those related to natural resources, commodities, or real estate.

Companies that take advantage of the MLP format are typically those that operate in steady, slow-growing industries. Because of this, cash distributions from MLPs tend to remain relatively steady over time. Furthermore, unlike corporations that issue stock, MLPs do not retain earnings for growth. Rather, they distribute them to investors as they become available.

Benefits of investing in MLPs

One major benefit of MLPs is that they tend to offer attractive yields, especially as compared to bonds. Furthermore, because MLPs typically emerge from stable, slow-growth industries, they tend to produce steady cash flows on a long-term basis.

There are also tax benefits to investing in MLPs. Limited partners in an MLP are only taxed when they receive distributions. Those cash distributions often exceed partnership income. When they do, it’s considered a return of capital to the limited partners, which means that applicable capital gains taxes are deferred until the units of the MLP are sold.

There are two types of partners in an MLP: general partners and limited partners. General partners oversee the daily operations of the MLP. All other investors in an MLP are limited partners, and their role is to provide capital to the MLP.

The limited partners, in turn, get to collect distributions from the MLP’s cash flow. Limited partners do not get involved in an MLP’s operations. Also, while limited partner units are publicly traded, general partner units usually are not.

General partners typically own a small general partnership stake of the MLP, though they can also own limited partner units to increase their ownership percentage. Those who invest in MLPs are referred to as unitholders because they buy units of the partnership. Investors are paid through quarterly required distributions as specified in their contracts.

Because MLPs are not required to pay corporate taxes, they have more cash available to distribute to investors. To receive these tax benefits, MLPs must generate at least 90% of their income from qualifying activities, such as those related to natural resources, commodities, or real estate.

Companies that take advantage of the MLP format are typically those that operate in steady, slow-growing industries. Because of this, cash distributions from MLPs tend to remain relatively steady over time. Furthermore, unlike corporations that issue stock, MLPs do not retain earnings for growth. Rather, they distribute them to investors as they become available.

You gave me a key answer needed to put a golden package together. One or two items are missing: some financing talent with integrity. Ideas welcomed.

Hans Kummerow
    Participant

Mike, keine Ursache. Gerne geschehen.

I am currently preparing a listing at ASX for German investors and will be down under during most of May. During June I plan to be in Canada.

If you want me to do that, I could advise you and your Board on how to structure an Origsix-MLP offer to US-Tax-Payers and how to get it listed.

Hans Kummerow
    Participant

You are certainly right Mike, when you compare the tax deference effects of Canadian Mining Tax Credits to US Master Limited Partnerships. (MLP)

But practical obstacles are the ease of buying or selling shares in a listed Canadian Mining Company compared to the effort of entering or terminating a US MLP as a partner.

To make it worthwhile and practiical for the general public to invest into MLP’s the Units in a US MLP should be listed at a Stock Exchange. P.e. in Toronto or Melbourne.

Michael Miller
    Participant

Agree with you, Hans. Yet there is more to the story regarding Canada’s lock on mining speculation/investment.
    Another side is pure share price speculation and has little to do with anything but trading stock. It’s called PUMP and DUMP. The PUMP and Dump infrastructure is a well-established industry in Canada. Not every gold company places stock promotion as a primary goal. Most do and base potential on exploration.

Our great past director, Charles Brown, would say, “Instead of a gold mining company, I’d rather own a company that mines gold.” Me too.

History buffs or future investors may take interest in a brief response to Hans’s accurate entry below. We only need to go back to 1974, December 31, when the United States removed its restrictions on gold ownership and the price. Ah, gold could once again breathe in a free market. Manipulators are always tweaking spot. There are always admirers and detractors. These are not the bulls and bears, who trade but people and institutions where gold affects finances. You either own the stuff (in some form) or hold none. Gold is a commodity, but it certainly has underlying feature different from oil, corn, cotton, or lumber and pork bellies.

Stock Market places were many: Vancouver, Spokane, Alberta, San Francisco, Salt Lake, and of course Toronto. The Canadians took over. The financial groups were smart ant put in place tax benefits that US Stock Markets ignored. The United States retains an unusual and very appealing financial attraction equal to or beats the long standing (and evolving) Canadian scheme. It is the Limited Partnership. There is a major caveat, though. The investment must be focused on gold production for it to benefit the General Partner and Limited Partner more than stock appreciation. The biggest carrot goes to the Limited Partners. Can you guess why? Let us know.

Hans Kummerow
    Participant

Technological progress in the mining industry is traditionally slow. And if it occurs anywhere, it will most likely be happening in a place like Canada or Australia. Why?
    I may happen in Canada, because 80% of worldwide venture capital for mining operations come out of Canada. This large amount of Canadian VC in mining is owed to a special Canadian mining tax credit, that high income Canadian tax-payers can carry forward against their personal income tax liability.And R+D cost need to be financed somehow.
    And it may happen in Australia. Because Australia has the largest JORC-Reserves in the world and because the cost of mining those ample reserves is directly linked to progress in mining technologies.
    But not matter where it will be happening – once it happens US-miners will be benefitting as well.

SCOOP
    Participant

The Vancouver Sun reports in its Friday edition that programmable bacteria, a gold-sniffing camera and a virtual reality tool for taking investors underground were among the innovations on display at the Prospectors & Developers Association of Canada (PDAC) convention in Toronto.

A Canadian Press dispatch to The Sun says that some mining veterans believe that such innovation is badly needed in an industry traditionally resistant to change. “There’s a lot of inertia in our business,” said George Salamis, chairman of Integra Gold. “There’s this mindset that, ‘We’ve been doing this for 100 years, why would we change?’

With new blood coming in, that is changing. But change is slow.” The mining industry has been on the mend as commodity prices recover from a protracted slump. The downturn made many executives more focused on pruning budgets than investing in technology that might increase efficiency. But even a small implementation of such products can have a huge effect on margins and operating costs. Think Sixteen to One mine and other mines in the forgotten California gold belt. Hello out there!

David Ingraham
    Participant

My thoughts have been echoed in the past by the federal reserve as well as congress, when I was a strong supporter for TARP, as well as Q/E.

David Ingraham
    Participant

Hi again Mike, I have already sent a letter to the White house about this thought. If they think it is a worthy thought then we will see some future action.

Michael Miller
    Participant

David,
    What caught my eye in your last entry was the Federal Reserve role as a lender of working capital for the gold mining industry, thereby producing more American gold. This is exciting. Our Company welcomes a new source for adding miners, buying more supplies and equipment to attack the many realistic gold targets we know exist. The existing sources (investors, speculators, gamblers and money houses) are some of the biggest manipulators in the world. Real gold miners get their thrills from mining gold not making money. The distinction is large! Who runs the Fed reserve, what policies govern its behaviors and what are its member’s main business philosophy and practices are unknown concerns I have. To support expanding the power of the Fed, I need answers to these concerns.

Of all commodities that enjoy a public market (corn, lumber silver, etc.) gold is likely the most vulnerable to high flying manipulation. BUT, the players are few compared to the players in other commodities. Right now the March 2017 contract volume is 23; May volume is 158; April volume is 170,929 and climbing. Who is playing this money game and why?

The next concerns or reality regarding price are those mystical men who set the spot price for 400oz bars each morning for settlement in London. The market is truly global from the centuries of London based power (NY to a lesser degree). Futures exchanges, Over-the-Counter and bullion dealers add a factor of variables to the once stable gold market. Who will be influencing the Fed Reserve crowd?

I must mention one more group: the Pump & Dump crowd. They play mostly in the small cap stock market and will always be there looking for a quick buck. The concern with them and the Fed Reserve running its gold plan is: will the good intentions of capitalizing companies who actually will mine gold be recognized and separated from the companies that are mining bull shit!

Let’s examine what we want to accomplish and see if there are others ways as well. We want to strengthen our gold industry and our status with the dollar by producing more gold in the United States. I get it and am looking for a way to accomplish this with our small operation.

Our discussions are under the Technology heading, somewhat misplaced. Our industry awoke in the 1970’s with technological advancements still lasting today; however technological results for really high-grade gold mining have been stagnant. If we can take samples from the moon, if we can see photographs from distant galaxies, we can see gold in quartz beyond the current four feet distance. David and others, let’s keep this discussion alive and include technology as a component of fixing the gold mining issue, inflation and free market rules in pricing an ounce of gold.

David Ingraham
    Participant

Hello Mike,

To add to my message below: there would not be any requirement to sell gold to the federal reserve, except only where financing was provided by federal reserve banks designated for that purpose, and only until the principle is paid off. The gold would be sold at market value with a dedicated buyer to buy the gold.

David Ingraham
    Participant

Dear Mike, if I represented any thing that George Soros proclaimed, My message was not clear enough as to its intent. The book I was talking about was an advocate for returning to the gold standard, with the decline of the dollar as the victim and down turn in the economic welfare of our nation. So we need an activity such as mining in the United States to become an economic engine to help grow our nation. My plan I tried to bring to your attention was for The Federal reserve to create the federal reserve Gold Trust for the purpose to increase backing for the dollar held as part of a reserve in trust. This would also use this reserve to sell parts of reserves as a hedge against inflation, with out touching our gold at Fort Knox. The federal reserve would by gold with printed money, increasing the money supply, with asset gold held in trust. A certificate would be also awarded to the seller of gold with the price paid, noted on the certificate. The federal reserve would be ready made buyer for gold mined in America to stay in America. That when it comes time to sell gold for lowering inflation, the person holding these certificates would have first crack to buy the gold as long as they are US Citizens.
    The reason the federal reserve would want ot buy gold is to create the inflation necessary for growth, Case in point was how our nation got out of the great depression, when the price of gold was increased from $20/ounce to $35/ ounce. Now the Federal reserve would purchase the gold by weight at the spot price on the London exchange on the sell and buy action of the purchase.
    The federal reserve and our nation need to increase our gold reserve as that is what China and Russia are doing to become a threat to the dollar as the most secure currency in the world. So this would be an economic defense policy. Higher federal gold reserves would give competition for this continued duty of the dollar, as well as being a competing buyer for gold, driving the price up for both China and Russia. This would not restrict sellers of gold to sell to the federal reserve, except where the federal reserve backed loans to miners and mining companies to help with the mining industry to produce the gold, that a provision could be allowed that the mining companies could hold back a 10 or 20 percent of the gold mined, from required sales to the federal reserve until the principle of the loan is paid off. After the loan is paid off the the requirement to sell gold to the federal reserve would be eliminated. This would be a strong incentive to increase gold mining, with development of financing for the mining activity and creating new wealth for economy of our nation.

Michael Miller
    Participant

David:

Rethink this idea you considered in your entry below. It has an unpleasant history going back to the 1960’s through 1974, when gold (its ownership and production) were governmental/politically controlled. Gold ownership is a very personal free choice. It should be.

Last month I learned of a financial writer from a shareholder. I wrote her and we have exchanged emails. Following is may last one to her. You may ponder my message to her.

February 27, 2017
    Dear Kimberly,

It was a delight to open emails this afternoon and find a response from you. I wrote you on a whim and because of who you are or what you are doing with your life. I read the seven articles you sent and learned nothing new; however, I was disappointed that there was little to know how you think and write about gold mining. I am a proponent of gold mining, especially now and in the future.

Articles like the one quoting Mr. Soros, proclaim a falsehood. I’ve read this (not so correct statement) in numerous books and articles about gold. They write that gold has no intrinsic value in order to debase its value. If gold has no intrinsic value, why not write, “Gold’s value is only extrinsic, not essential”? The difference is subtle but, the why I am writing you now is not looking for subtleness.

None of the articles present the side of gold I want you to know about. I’m a gold producer. I can do nothing to influence the spot price of this commodity. I can increase its value with products and marketing but as far as promoting gold ownership or its avoidance is not a choice or possible. (Unlike most gold bugs or promoters I do want to return to the gold standard. Let the free market prevail.) I put no effort in speculating about gold’s spot prices.

Gold has intrinsic value. For some reason the opposite belief is a constant cry by anti-hard asset (money) value people. Why do you think this is so? Gold’s use in technologically driven products (electrical sensitive) is up. Jewelry (think India more that western cultures) is established and increasing as populations increase. But, again, this is not why I write you.

Speculations in investments or gambling can be made on any subjects. I have a well-known friend in Chicago who speculated on hurricanes years ago. I quit golf years ago but still go to his annual golfing, fishing and hiking get together in Idaho. I take my cameras. This group likes to bet on golf scores but one year I wagered a bet that one of the eight players would hit a house and got favorable odds. I won that bet. But, again, this is not why I write you.

Mining gold or producing any commodity has become most challenging. The trend is an actual numerical decline in ounces but more importantly in a larger percentage drop of the factors sensitive to a prospective mine operator (capital investment, speculation and safe or fair regulation enforcement). The uninformed have not grasped this economic phenomenon. Miners, the labor forces, are skilled workers and in California and the west declining in numbers. Mining, like logging, another fundamental industry under attack has a culture vital to the well-being of greater America. Why did Japan infiltrate China, the Philippines and attack the United States? The country is losing the mining culture, the infrastructure vital to be competitive in natural resources and the ability to fund our demands of manufacturing domestically.

Forty four years ago I was pondering where our social life was heading. I was a combined social science major, graduating from UCSB in 1965 with economics (major). I concluded that our leaders were smart to continue using up foreign natural resources because it protected ours for the future when other countries were depleted. It was about freedom and security. I no longer believe this is correct unless you advocate for large multinational conglomerates to grab these tools of freedom and security for themselves. This is why I write you.

I want you to become familiar with our industries in the BIG picture. I want you to see domestic natural resource production as an opportunity for others to aid America. Why? I believe that you write for the right reasons. America needs more miners working in America.
    Sincerely,
    Michael

David Ingraham
    Participant

Hello Mike,I have been reading a book by James Rickards, “THE NEW CASE FOR GOLD”. I suspect that you may have seen it. It is about our need for inflation to raise the price of gold and combat our present recession.
    I would like to present an idea about how to do this. I think the federal reserve needs to have a gold trust reserve where dollars are printed and traded for gold based on weight at the high daily rate of the purchase by the gold trust reserve, along with the dollars a certificate would be included with the purchase price for the gold. This would be away to increase the gold reserve. This gold reserve trust also would the capacity to loan to banks specifically for financing the mining of gold in the united states. With the requirement that all gold mined would be sold to the federal gold trust reserve until the principle of the financing was paid off.

Michael Miller
    Participant

MINERS ARE MEMBERS OF THE SKILLED LABOR FORCE.

Natural resources are materials from the Earth that people use to meet their needs.
    Commodities are hard assets. Since there are so many, they are grouped in three major categories: agriculture, energy, and metals. Non-renewable resources are those that are used faster than Nature can create more.

The United States was blessed with an unusual abundance of seven natural resources. First, it has a large land mass that early on became governed by one political system. Second, it was bordered by two large coastlines that provided food and later ports for commerce. Third, it had thousands of acres of fertile land. Fourth, it had abundant fresh water. Fifth, it was once under a great sea which created the oil and coal. Sixth the climate gives it grand forests. Seventh the formation of the earth gave it gold. The geography and geology of the United States provided a tremendous comparative advantage in building our economy.

America had a huge head start thanks to its abundance of natural resources. In addition, it’s governed by one political system, monetary system and language. America has two peaceful neighbors, Canada and Mexico. It doesn’t have to defend its borders.

Where is the flim-flam ABOUT GOLD propagated? Answer: exploitation of terms and time. Proven gold reserves are where analysis of geological and engineering data demonstrates with reasonable certainty to be recoverable from known reservoirs. Only the gold that is commercially viable under current economic conditions is counted. Reasonable certainty means that either actual production or conclusive testing has occurred. Gold is not counted as proven if engineers are uncertain whether it can be recovered under current economic conditions or it’s in completely untested areas.

Exploration and development must take place before production. Exploration has most risk. Most companies never get beyond exploration. Some make it to development and few actually get into production. This time frame is important because supply changes more slowly than demand For example, demand can rise quickly, but companies can’t ramp up production as fast. When demand drops, it can take companies months to reduce supply. Unlike most industries, people outside the production side publish words. This has become the flim-flam of gold
    A big difference occurs between supply in the short-run versus the long-run. Short-run supply depends on price. As demand rises, customers pay a higher price. Businesses will increase supply to gain the sales from higher prices until they reach their current capacity.

In the long-run, if the price and demand remain high, companies can boost supply. They have the time to add the workers, machinery, and factories required. The following factors determine long-run supply: Labor, Capital Goods, Natural Resources, Entrepreneurship.

Financial capital such as money and credit is used to buy the factors of production. But the ease of obtaining financial capital, whether through stocks bonds, or loans, plays a critical role in supply. Warning: In the professed bull market for hard assets ahead, challenge the flim-flam man.

Here are some examples of how U.S. innovations in capital goods created economic advantages.
    • In 1789, Samuel Slater improved textile manufacturing. Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin in 1793. These made the U.S. a leader in clothing manufacturing.
    • The invention of the Morse code and the telegraph in 1849, and Graham Bell’s telephone in 1877, made communication faster.
    • Thomas Edison invented a safe incandescent lamp in 1880. That allowed people to work longer and made urban living more attractive.
    • Steamboats led to steam locomotives. They allowed private railroad networks to facilitate coast-to-coast commerce and development of the West.
    • In 1902, air conditioning allowed migration to formerly hot areas and the ability to work effectively through the summer.
    • In 1903, the Wright Brothers’ invented the airplane, leading to faster air travel.
    • In 1908, Ford’s assembly line allowed mass production of affordable cars. That increased demand for expanded travel and led to the 1956 Interstate Highway Act. That improved shipping and a created a higher suburban standard of living.
    • In 1926, Robert Goddard invented the liquid propulsion rocket. That gave the United States an advantage in defense.
    • In 1992, metal detectors were tried and succeeded in finding gold in the Sixteen to One mine.
    • When will the innovative capitalists/ entrepreneurs move the technology into the 21st Century?

Michael Miller
    Participant

Our crew received a spanking new pneumatic drill, one that is first in size for its exploration program. This drill looks like equipment the leading pioneers would take on any exploratory trip. Lewis and Clark had the best rifles at the time when they set out to find a waterway to the Pacific Ocean. The federal government, led by Thomas Jefferson knew the importance of uniting both of North America oceans. He gave Meriwether Lewis and open credit card and it paid off. That was 210 years ago.

Our new drill and necessary accoutrements were provided by other technology pioneers, not the federal government. For reasons that are partly unclear today, the federal governmental agency most active within the business affairs of California’s underground gold mines is funded in the Executive Branch administered by the Secretary of Labor. Not only is it unsupported of domestic mining, it continues an unwarrantable attack on the underground California gold miners, men just trying to eke out an honest living while adding to the national gross product…wealth.

How shall we reach those responsible and make them accountable? How do we tell and convince the Secretary of Labor’s network that its failures hurt those whom it is lawfully required to protect? More on this will be forth coming.

Kirk Miller
    Participant

Kit Carson rode over to his Nevada Lode claim, and took a very low tech look around. Amazing, in that I found myself in a canyon of Quartz. There were quartz veins at the surface everywhere. Brown, yellow, and orange quartz were observed. There were pieces of black granite streaked with white quartz. Quite amazing, beautiful, and a long way from the California mother lode. The veins even went over the mountain to the dry stream on the other side.

Kirk Miller
    Participant

My horse was exhausted after the 19 miles ride up Ridge Road from hiway 49. Fortunately, my Falcon MD20 metal detector (with 300KHz) was a lightweight tool so we had the energy to ride out of Alleghany after the tailings were tested. Mike Miller said I needed a positive attitude, so when it started to wane, I turned up the sensitivity. I handed Mike a bag of false positives, hoping one or two might prove to have a bit of pay. It was a good experience, but I realized gold is expensive because it is quite rare. Let’s hope my Nevada Lode is El Dorado, and Mike hooks up with an honest sheriff and also some cowboys with guts. Kit Carson is on his side.

martin newkom
    Participant

Good Luck with the new radar!!!

Michael Miller
    Participant

Sorry Kit, more data to analyze due to additional underground scanning, but your horse is still at large. Ride on over to the Sixteen to One so you can check out your machines in the mine. Give me a call.

Kirk Miller
    Participant

One year and 4 months has passed since the last technology post. Any breakthroughs? The high frequency Falcon hobbyist detector seems to be successful. Any new technology horses for Kit Carson to mount and find gold in his Nevada lode?

Michael Miller
    Participant

Please go to the NEWS section of this site for a news release about our latest activities with Ground Penetrating Radar. Andrew Yeiser, who is a director candidate for the upcoming year, is leading the project. Shareholders will vote for directors at the June 26, 2010 annual meeting in Alleghany.

ted korczak
    Participant

To whom it may concern.

Available on the market metal detectors offer discrimination metals, mostly they select ferrous metals from nonferrous, with poor discrimination between gold,silver, copper or aluminum.
    Recently I made discovery which allows me to build a prototype of metal detector capable to select gold from another metals. Experiments show very high reliability to distinguish that whether the target is a gold or another metal with accuracy of 99%. Prototype was tested with various metals of different shapes such as foil, flat metals (small thickness with large surface ) long rods, nails and so on, from different distance and angle. Experiments show that orientation and distance do not effect readings, and gold have own signature impossible to imitate by another metals. Prototype can detect gold ring from distance of 20 cm.

If your company is interested in licensing my technology, please don’t hesitate to contact me. korted@rogers.com

Sincerely
    Ted Korczak

Mark Wolff
    Participant

Recent successful demonstrations of long-range ore body detection using Induced Polarization means at high amperage are described here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSN156191520090915?rpc=44

Akin to geo-seismic oilfield methods which produce detailed 3-D subsurface mappings, this technology has been used at smaller scale for years in that setting and in exploration at mines in Canada. A web-search on ‘induced polarization’ will yield equipment makers.

This might be a way for the 16-to-1 to locate some fresh targets beyond the range of metal detection techniques thus far employed!

William Kilgore
    Participant

As an owner of an Eastern Historic Gold Mine with large reserves and recent core samples of 1.126 opt at 96.5 feet below surface. I am looking for technology help in finding definition on the ore body(ies) without having to drill, drill ,drill.

Dave Nordyke
    Participant

Interesting reading. Talked with a company about Pulse Induction Metal detectors. They say about 15 feet deep. Un like radar witch needes to work down and is usless other wise. Works with Magnetometer. And is afforadable for mining.

http://www.accuratelocators.com/index.html

Gerard Forsman
    Participant

Mike,
    Something that might be of interest to the reader (and myself) is a description of a false positive. Is there any one thing that was found more often then not (other than the lack of gold) or a set of physical properties that was noticed when heading for the target?

Michael Miller
    Participant

There was an important new development in gold detection in the Sixteen to One last week. It reduces the time to develop the soft wear required to distinguish gold from a positive signal that is not gold but some other physical characteristic that appears positive. It also greatly reduces the costs involved in mining the targets identified by ground penetrating radar (GPR).

People unfamiliar with our high-grade gold deposit and unfamiliar with the science of blind detection cannot imagine how significant metal or gold detection is. With equipment penetrating just the depth of four feet, we have mined millions of dollars of gold from areas left by past miners. Twenty to fifty feet is attainable now by all accounts provided by people or companies working with radar detection. With this new development it becomes practical to look at all targets without the former concern of finding nothing more that the dreaded “false positive”.

The next step is to bring in the best hard ware available. I do not know where it is but now am confident that we can afford to chase these targets without duplicating the problems encountered between 1993 and 1998.

Michael Miller
    Participant

A “false positive” was a new concept for all of us at the mine. Between 1993 and 1998 six groups and a number of individuals came to Alleghany with either existing equipment of ideas and money to development a gold detection machine. We provided the opportunity and our contribution was to mine the targets that showed up from their detection.

After several disappointing results from our drilling, blasting and mucking the target, we became more and more critical of just what the scientists represented as a positive target. I learned that disappointment in technical research is to be expected and the scientists called these “false positives”. I did not think these were very positive after awhile but reluctantly adopted the language of science ie, “false positive”.

Some of the things we found during our part of the deal were: vugs, horses, old pieces of equipment, and dramatic changes in the quartz. A vug is a small cavity in a rock (quartz in our case). It may be lined with crystals of a different mineral or quartz crystals but the open space alters the detection response. A horse can be a splitting of the vein but what we usually identify as a horse is a large block of displaced wall rock caught along a fault or a mass of country rock lying within the vein. Signals act differently because of the physical differences between quartz and the country rock.

After many encouraging positives both false and true, we decided that it was impractical to continue the chase. Most of the errors were human(the need to get good results to encourage more working capital or sloppy work procedures); but one important concern is what is called the rock to sender interface. With radar it is important to get rid of clutter. If the rock to sender interface is not addressed, as much as eighty percent of the electrical signal creates clutter and negates much of the depth and reliability of the equipment.

Thomas Frank
    Participant

Hey folks. I’m new to the forum but not Prospecting and Treasure Hunting. I had an interesting discussion with some fellow prospectors this evening that inspired me to check out the site tonight. I’m told that the 16 to 1 is now utilizing detectors and such to discover new deposits beyond what’s visible or speculated. I’ve had the thrill to find some beautiful specimens (both lode and placer gold) using this technique. Last year I invested a substancial sum of money in some technology that has been utilized by the government for several years and has been made available to us for the past ten. Problem is the cost of entry, but perhaps most difficult is the learning curve. My past experience with this device has proven that once I’ve scanned a “known” target then I can analyze the 3 dimensional image and sure enough learn how to identify other targets of the same. It has the capacity of imaging up to 60 feet in debth, depending on the type of target and other interferences. Now I’ve made several trips out using the device to locate lode gold and found that I also need sample scans of known targets. Once this is accomplished it will enable me to provide an invaluable service to myself and others. If anyone has any input as to how I can accomplish this objective and both parties find it mutually benificial, please let me know.

Michael Miller
    Participant

We are firm believers in the application of modern technology in the Sixteen to One mine. The wind is blowing in our direction. Security is driving the wind. Confidentiality with certificates of agreement and understanding limits just how much of the advances are reaching the public and us. Some of the small companies with leading edge developments want to keep their process close to their chests ($$$$ is a factor). Some of the large companies want to buy the small companies. One such instance has an asking price of $200,000,000. That is a lot of security machine sales. For us it would be less than a 200,000-ounce pocket! If we can attract some of these industrious, brainy scientists to venture into the mine’s Beta site, it could be profitable for everyone. I do know that tiny differences, as long as they can be measured and identified with the sources of the differences will be a great prospect in finding gold hidden by quartz. Until such time as someone pops for the money and he or she knows the potential of our mine, we remain open to all serious detection. The wind of discovery is blowing but is not yet felt.

Yes, we mined four of the five anomalies. The first was a pinching of the vein, a geologic structure and no gold. The second was a horse, a geologic term for an irregularity cutting out a portion of the vein. One was a vug, a geologic term for an open or vacant space. We did not mine the weakest remaining one after we located an old abandoned slusher.

Roger Duncan
    Participant

Mike,

You mention that the RIM Technology worked locating the several anomalies, Did you mine to those anomalies, and if so what did you find when you got there? ie How much gold? You say that the technology works but that the processing the data takes time, that seems to me just a matter of manpower thrown at the problem. Finally, what is the cost of this equipment and the cost to operate it?

Michael Miller
    Participant

In 1992, we began using metal detectors in the mine. Soon other methods of locating gold surfaced, one was GPR (ground penetrating radar). It works. We were able to “see” through the quartz and an image would appear on the screen. The Discovery channel presented a ten-minute special about our work around 1994. The problem seems to rest in the interpretation of the data. What does gold look like on a computer screen? What are the other anomalies we see via the technology?

We became a Beta site for a five-year program of serious gold detection with companies interested in using modern technology to find gold. We learned a lot. The Sixteen to One mine is a great mine for research because the quartz is benign and the gold is very concentrated. Over the years the miners became familiar with the term, “false positives” (a phrase I particularly detested). No research was successful in breaking away from the ‘souped up’ hobby type detectors we were using with great success on a regular daily basis. Too bad, but we observed reasons why the others failed yet had no control over their methods.

Another type of detection came from Colorado. It was called RIM technology (radio imagining method). It also worked. We were able to locate anomalies within five hundred feet of quartz between the 1700-foot level and the 2200-foot level. One of its drawbacks was the length of time it took to process the data. Therefore, we declared that our gold detector of the future must be in “real time”. The hardware is not stopping our progress. It is the software and the adaptation of the equipment to meet the demands of an underground mine. Miners are not known to be dainty guys, and mines are known to be wet and dirty. Our future detector must be durable.

We spent a lot of time and money chasing those false positives; however we are willing to continue the search for an electronic improvement to identify the high-grade gold in the scattered but abundant pockets. (The Sixteen to One agreed to actually mine the signals or spots where the outside research companies believed showed a gold pattern.) We do not even care if the eventual accuracy is only forty percent. This is a very rich mine. We can strike out sixty percent of the time and still find a lot of gold.

Steve Eshbaugh
    Participant
    Michael Miller
    Participant

“No timetable exists for us to development the 21st century gold detector. But, for all of us who pioneered the modern gold rush in California, the sooner the better. I can count these pioneers on the fingers of both hands and the toes on both feet. The ability to build and detect blind gold lodes exists. I can count on the fingers of my hands gold miners capable of writing the same assertion (to say with assuredly something that can not ever be known). There is a thing called ‘risk’. In taking the risks of this game, one hand will tally the players. There remain a few pioneers who remember and know: the ones with the highest risk will seek the highest reward. The Alleghany Mining District, which has never relinquished its soughvernity, encompasses a vein system laced with lots of gold. It is known to many but believed by few.”

Goldsmith, this is the best way I can most obtusely yet directly, answer your posting. A big question to ponder is: the technology area and allocation of gold. The choice has been to chase gold before chasing a gold detector that will surely find gold. The pocket I have in mind is one to eclipse the largest ounce concentration mined in Alleghany. It was found before the order by President Roosevelt prohibited American citizens from owning gold. This vein was mined into the size of a stope (room) about 20 feetX40 feet. It can be quickly mined also. An 84,000-ounce hit will do the deal and it will be quick.

Back to the timetable question, which by now you may see there will be no answer, the timetable for technology has less value than the time preference to sink the Red Star Shaft. Its existence depends on us finding some gold or selling some equity. Borrowing money is out of the question. (Our government has chosen debt over equity dilution. It is less important to berate this choice and instead to see who holds the notes of the debt.)

OAU rates the choices to ponder in importance as follows: gold, dilution, operation, and assets. Each of these unique areas competes for a timeline. For this reason I prepared to sell the Brown Bear mine for the $6 million to create the new shaft and also build the device. Before the Federal government’s confiscation of Americans constitutional rights to personal property in 1934, two hundred million dollars was the pay off for the minimal mining of the claims. Spending $200,000 to assemble and test the world’s deepest gold detector underground, has taken a back seat to selling an asset. Even selling the Brown Bear for 15,000 ounces is questionable when considering production of 500,000 from no levels below the drainage.

I welcome any comments. We will develop the hard and soft ware to locate gold much deeper than ever before in the Alleghany Mining District.

Jeff Smith
    Participant

Is there a time table as to when this might happen. Have you been talking to different Metal Detector copanies like Whites, and Mine Lab? I would think they would be dieing to add you as a member.I can remeber the Whites adds with Mike in them.I wonder how many detectors those adds sold?

Michael Miller
    Participant

The best technology for locating and mining high-grade gold is still geology. Fortunately, the Sixteen to One vein system is a well-researched and studied deposit. Fortunately, the company recognized the importance of mapping and recording data. Fortunately, the corporation directors believed enough in the deposit to seek wealth from the ground instead of the paper profits in the stock market. The science of geology remains at the pinnacle of locating new pockets.

Since 1992, the company realized the importance of electronic detection devices that would recognize and report gold to the operator of the device. Millions of dollars were produced from the gold overlooked by the traditional methods of locating and mining a “pocket”. What would Bennet, Van Doren, Foote, Searles, Fuller, Cooke, Hulesdonk, Best, Alling, Woodbury, Furgeson , Gannett and other high-grade gold miners think if they knew that miners today can wave a wand along the quartz and gain the notion that gold may exist eight feet beyond the visible surface? Fortunately for us, no one knew until now.

The next generation of metal detectors will increase the penetration to twenty feet. The hardware already exists. The best mine in the world to advance this technology is the Sixteen to One. It is permitted. It is operating. It has a seasoned crew. It has a history of research of twelve years and it has the gold. The research to build the hardware is mostly completed.

Steve Eshbaugh
    Participant

I’m curious as to what type of technology is being used in the 16 to 1 these days to find new pockets of gold.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.